This summer I found myself running low on cute summer skirts. You know, the kind you can pair with a nice blouse for the office or mix with a T-shirt for a day at the park. But whenever I went out shopping I was disappointed with what I found. Everything was either cheaply made (though not cheaply priced!), or didn’t fit the way I wanted it to. So I resolved to make my own. Now, if you’ve visited my blog before, you probably know that I’m not a garment maker (and rest assured that’s even more true after this project, heh), but I was determined to soldier through.
I just wanted a simple lined a-line skirt. I came across the Barcelona Skirt by Amy Butler and was sold. Determined to make this a one-day project, I swung by by LQS and picked out two yards of Queen Anne’s Lace by Dear Stella — the colors and large scale print were just perfect. At which point I became fully committed to the project and maybe even a little excited… only to realize that the pattern called for an invisible zipper. Which sounded terrifying, and required a new presser foot. And, you know, an invisible zipper. Neither of which I had. Sigh.
Fast forward two days later, and Amazon delivered my shiny new invisible zipper foot and one over-priced $7 invisible zipper. I installed my zipper on the exterior fabric without a hitch (PS – invisible zippers are SO cool!), but wanted to avoid hand-stitching the lining on to the zipper as recommended by the pattern. Thankfully, I came across this wonderful tutorial on YouTube which gave me the confidence to give it a whirl my way. So, instead of completing the exterior and interior separately, I skipped the last seam (where the front panel meets the second back panel) on each — yielding two very long strips of fabric. At that point, I followed the YouTube tutorial to attach the lining to the zipper. Sewing the lining to the zipper went smoothly, as did completing the two seams I had skipped earlier (thereby creating the exterior and lining parts of the skirt).
|Invisible zipper with sewn in lining|
Everything was going great until the next step where you join the exterior and lining around the waist line. For the life of me, I could not get things to line up right around the zipper! I had to rip out my stitches a half dozen times to get it to look okay, and there are still a few puckers hiding in there. I’m still not sure what the problem was. And it honestly would have been faster and easier to just hand-baste that &^$# zipper to the lining.
That said, I am really happy with the finished product. It fits perfectly, and has a lovely weight to it. It’s sturdy and feels like it should last a long time. And, thanks to the machine sewn zipper, I can throw it in the washer without worrying. Even so, I officially do not enjoy garment sewing. It just doesn’t have that same meditative-mojo for me that quilting does. I’m sure I will make another skirt for utility’s sake, but for now I’m happy to dive back into some quilting!