Confetti Yeti: When Gag Gifts Go Wrong

I’ve had a best friend since I was 14 months old — my (almost) twin sister. Like me, she’s more than a little nuts. Except, unlike me, she applies her talents to help those in need; spending her days as an NP in palliative care (you can google it, I’ll wait). Yeah. So, as you can imagine, my sister has the occasional bad week. Which is amazing to me because if I had to manage the care plan for seriously sick and usually terminally ill patients, every week would be a bad one… and let’s just say that would equate to a LOT of beer.

002

So, to break her understandable funk, I devised a crafty plan to make my very sensible sister a doll. A pink one. No, wait. A pink *fluffy* one! Oh, even better? One that incorporated this lustrous pepto-bismol- pink and puke-green faux fur I have had in my possession. Chalk it up to colors she is quite familiar with in her chosen profession? 😉

Everything was going according to my plan. I found the perfect pattern — Confeti Yeti, by NimblePhish patterns. I cut my pieces. I even had him almost entirely sewn together (yes, he is he. He told me so). I named him Bizmo, after his PeptoBismol coloring. And, then, the toddler who *never* cares for my handmade toys stole him off the ironing board. Here he is pictured just moments before the kidnapping occurred. Poor guy never saw it coming.

Pre-kidnapped Bizmo

I thought if I played it cool that Bizmo would find his way to the post office the next day. But I was SO wrong. Instead he has gone every where with us for the past week, including the fabric store — where I was shamed into admitting that I had created him. Purposefully.

So Bizmo, now named “Mommy Doll,” will be staying with us “always and forever.” Which means that my gag gift totally backfired on me. Or did it?

Bizmo 013

Bizmo 021

I pulled out my camera one morning before school, and snapped up a few photos of the happiest toddler in the world. I quickly sent the photos to my sister and told her the tale of her Bizmo doll — bad week blues were cured within seconds 🙂

Linking up!

And Finish it Up Friday with CrazyMomQuilts!

• April King October 11, 2013, 1:42 am

What a wonderful story. Made me smile, thank you for sharing.

• Jen October 11, 2013, 4:12 pm

Aw, thank you April! Happy to share, and so glad you came by.

• amanda October 11, 2013, 1:30 pm

oh, kids! I can envision the shame at the fabric store. you may have just lost all street cred.

• Jen October 11, 2013, 1:58 pm

Seriously! I don’t think I can show my face there for awhile. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

• cath@wombatquilts October 11, 2013, 3:25 pm

The smile on the toddlers face is priceless… looks like Bizmo has found more love than you could have imagined.

• Jen October 11, 2013, 4:17 pm

That is a wonderful way of looking at it, thank you Cath!

• Kat October 12, 2013, 4:14 pm

How cute, I like him!!

• Cindy October 14, 2013, 2:02 am

Was making the Yeti difficult? I am so intrigued by her patterns and was wondering if you found the construction hard. I would love to know your thoughts….and where did you get that great Bizmo fur?

Cindy

• Jen October 14, 2013, 5:58 pm

Hi Cindy! Aren’t Naomi’s patterns amazing?! She is one of my absolute favorite toy designers. I would say NimblePhish/Naomi’s patterns are on the intermediate level, but they vary in difficulty. Her newest patterns (like the Mix and Match Dolls, and the Yeti) are drafted on the computer and include a few photos in the tutorial, but the older ones are hand drawn and a little tricky. She is in the process of refreshing several of her older patterns, so that could be a non-issue depending on the pattern. Long story short — the Yeti is comparatively easy, especially if you have a little toy-making or clothes-making experience. The dragons? Those are a little more involved. If it’s your first softie, and you’re nervous, I would suggest a Funky Friends Factory pattern to build your confidence. But NimblePhish’s patterns are totally approachable for a determined beginner. Good luck, and if you make one, I would love to see it!

PS – The Bizmo fur? Hahaha. It was a remnant I picked up from “The Fabric Place” years ago. They specialize in out of print fabric, so unfortunately it’s probably long gone now. If you’re dying to get your hands on some, let me know. I have more than I know what to do with!