WIP Wednesdays – Holiday Edition

Tumbling blocks

Holiday sewing is in full swing over here. I’ve completely taken over the house with my projects — there are stacks of fabric strewn all over the place, two ironing boards covered in WIPS, and thread snippits everywhere. Yeah, I’ve made a mess.

My first project is a small dog quilt for a family member. My poor dog will never have  a handmade quilt to call her own, but I know this quilt will make one person (and maybe one dog!) very happy on Christmas morning.

Since it is for a dog, I went with colors that would hide dirt — grey, tangerine, gold, and a touch of cream. Next I pulled coordinating prints from 2wenty Thr3e and Comma, and added Bella Solids in Tangerine, Mustard and Etching Stone.

I cut the tumblers using my new Accuquilt Go Baby, which I bought just for this die. In general, I prefer my Sizzix fabric cutter, but the Accuquilt Tumbler die includes special cut outs for the dog ears. At any rate, the Accuquilt made quick work a huge stack of fabric.   My little one helped randomize the tumblers for chain-piecing, and we had ourselves a quilt top in no time.

I followed the shape of the tumblers with some straight-line quilting, and ta da! We’re ready for the binding!

Tumbler Quilt in Autumn Colors

Linking up with WIP Wednesday’s at Freshly Pieced.

• anne November 27, 2013, 4:07 am

I love this! The quilting really adds a lot to it. 🙂 I never thought about pairing comma and 2wenty thr3e but they look like they were meant to go together! Beautiful job. 🙂

• amy November 27, 2013, 9:47 am

I love your basket on the ironing board! and what a nice quilt for a doggie. Ia m sure it will get lots of snuggling.

• Michelle @ Squeek Crafts November 27, 2013, 9:56 am

I love how you combined the three-twenty and comma together. This is a fabulous quilt – love it!!

• Heather November 27, 2013, 11:01 am

Lucky dog!

• Terri @ Childlike Fascination November 27, 2013, 11:16 am

Love your tumblrs! I’ve always thought that would be a fun shape to work with but a lot of cutting since I don’t have an Acuquilt. My second quilt I ever made was for my dog, I made cute little dog bone blocks with dog fabric and he did snuggle it in his bed when he slept.

• Sara November 27, 2013, 3:10 pm

My dog wants one of those too now…..geesh……LOL

• Kristel November 27, 2013, 6:40 pm

This looks great! I love the colour combination.

• Renee November 27, 2013, 9:28 pm

How cute! Very lucky dog 🙂

• Kristin November 28, 2013, 7:59 am

Your tumbler quilt is super cute, I love the fabric you used!

• Julie November 28, 2013, 2:34 pm

I love Comma, and somewhere down the line I’d love to do a tumbler quilt. Yours turned out great!

• nellie November 29, 2013, 3:13 pm

Umm… please give it to me and not the dog! I love this quilt! Hmm… curious to also learn more about the Sizzix vs. the Accuquilt dies. We must have a chat about this soon!

• June @ QuiltQuest January 5, 2014, 4:49 pm

Great looking quilt. Next time I will try to keep the angles at the sides too and will follow your notes. I have a tumbler all basted but I’m trying to figure out how to follow “the shape of the tumblers with some straight-line quilting, and ta da!”. Do I start at the edge or in the middle? Do you know of a place with a diagram for the order of doing the FMQing? Thanks!

• Jen January 6, 2014, 6:51 pm

Thank you, June! Your tumbler quilt is gorgeous!

I can’t pretend that I did my straight line quilting the “right way,” but I’m happy to share how I did it! I used my stitch in the ditch foot and moved my needle all the way to the right, which is a generous 1/8inch on my machine. I choose to stitch on one side of each seam, but you could of course stitch on both sides. It seemed like a good scale for the little tumblers, and gave them just enough texture from the quilting. If I was a little more trusting of myself, I might have gone for a 1/4inch instead… but the stitch in the ditch accufeed foot on my Horizon makes the 1/8inch scale SO easy. At any rate, here’s what I did:

1) Start by quilting the straight horizontal lines (i.e. along the tumbler rows) — stitching across the middle of the quilt from one edge to the other. No need to start quilting in the middle of the quilt. Work your way outwards row-by-row. I did flip the quilt every few rows to make sure I wasn’t causing any puckering or shifting problems (just make sure to move your needle all the way to left when you flip the quilt so you stay on the same side of the seam).

2) Tackle the zig-zag vertical seams (i.e. perpendicular to the tumbler rows). Working again from the edges of your quilt, run a line of quilt stitches across the middle of the quilt. When you get to a seam intersection (i.e. where the vertical zig-zag line meets the straight tumbler rows), cheat to get your needle right in that seam. With your needle down, pivot the quilt, and continue on. I flipped the quilt every few rows to keep things nice and even, but I’m really not sure that it was necessary.

I hope that helps. Happy quilting and thank you so much for visiting!