WIP Wednesday: Economy Block Addiction

I was enjoying a very relaxing New Year’s morning catching up on my blog reader and instagram feed… until I came across the new #economyblockalong. The next thing I knew, I was scrambling downstairs to cut up fabric before 8AM (even though it was my turn to sleep in). Luckily for me, my husband knew better than to question the flurry of early morning activity, and left me to my insanity.

I followed Rita @ RedPepperQuilts’ tutorial (here) for five inch (finished) blocks. She recommends over-sizing the blocks and then squaring them up as you go, and let me just say, I am a *big* fan of that technique. It keeps everything neat and tidy, and totally feeds my OCD tendencies. Which may be why I finished sixteen blocks by the next afternoon. Can you say possessed?

economy block along

I had planned to stop at sixteen squares, but I caught the economy block bug in a bad way. Once the first sixteen were done I dove right back in to my stash. Nothing was safe — fat quarters, yardage, and even my coveted Heather Ross went under the rotary cutter (Briar Rose, not Kokka. Let’s not be completely crazy!).

Before the weekend was over I had cut up another fifty squares and have been sewing them up through out the week.  I’ve been a long time admirer of scrappy quilts, and I’m so excited to finally have a stash that is capable of producing one. And also a little horrified. I’ve been sewing for 18 months now, which begs the question — where the hell did all this fabric come from? Yikes!

Economy Block Along

I’ve never participated in a quilt along, but it was one of my goals for 2014. I’ve had so much fun playing along on instagram and admiring everyone else’s creations.

Of course, there are some of my blocks that I like more than others. Like this one, featuring the little rabbit from Good Night Moon. How perfect is he floating in a lime green frame? And I was also pleasantly surprised to find Momo’s Oh Deer! playing so well with Kate Spain’s flowers. Who knew?

Economy Block Along

If you’ve somehow avoided the #economyblockalong, I encourage to give in to temptation and join in the fun! Each block is a little fabric adventure of it’s own. So much fun! And besides, it’s stash busting. It’s good for you!

• Erin January 7, 2014, 10:29 pm

Jen, your blocks are so cute! And so bright and lively and happy. They almost make me want to join in ;-). My New Years resolution was NOT to join in on any quilt-a-longs, so I will sit on the sidelines and cheer for you. And with 50 blocks you’re going to have a giant, fabulous quilt! I can’t wait to see it.
    E xx

• Joanne @ Rose & Dahlia January 8, 2014, 11:24 am

I’ve been bitten by the economy block bug too, they are just so addictive!
    Yours are just perfect, I love that cherry one!

• Fran January 8, 2014, 12:14 pm

These are such lovely blocks! I’ve pulled some fabrics and need to get started.

• Zafira January 8, 2014, 12:41 pm

Fantastic blocks! Love your photos!

• Corinne January 8, 2014, 12:50 pm

I’m SOOO close to jumping on the economy block train! It is one of my next projects. Love how yours are turning out!

• Tessa January 8, 2014, 2:10 pm

Yep, I totally get the insanity. Your blocks are fabulous – so many great prints for the fussy cut centers. I am making some, too, but am planning on making it a long term project :)

• cath@wombatquilts January 8, 2014, 2:29 pm

I love these scrappy, fussy cut blocks… but I think 50 of them would do my head in. Good luck.

• genie January 8, 2014, 2:48 pm

Oh, Geeze….Can I even consider another one. It fits right in with my New Year’s resolution of using only stash fabrics as much as I can. I MUST quit buying and start using. I love that you are even hitting your sacred pieces like Any Butler…I am that way about Mary Engelbreit. You have really given me food for thought. I don’t know if I can abstain after reading your blogpost. genie

• CherrySprinkle January 9, 2014, 12:14 am

I love your blocks so far! I’ve been bitten too and I can’t seem to stop hacking my fabrics lol I can’t wait to see yours finished!

• rachael {imagine gnats} January 9, 2014, 1:12 pm

hi, Jen! i wanted to feature your post on Sew Mama Sew – will you shoot me an email at rachael {at} imaginegnats.com? thank you!!

• Carla January 13, 2014, 10:47 am

What a fun post! I think I was doing the same thing New Year’s Day except I’ve been quilting for 13 years……
    Enjoy your wee blocks. They are addicting!