Selfish Sewing 241 Tote Style

I’ll be honest… all that applique for Patchwork Elephants on Parade left me pretty burnt out on the sewing front. So last Saturday morning, my Mini Me and I decided to make something just for me. And that thing? The 241 Tote by Noodlehead.

I have had my eye on this bag for ages — like Evernote says I bought the pattern over a year ago.

At any rate, fabric auditions were held and we decided on a teal textured cotton, linen, and of course, a feature print from Tula Pink’s Acacia collection. The bag is lined with Alison Glass’s feathers in pink. For the most part, I stuck to the pattern though I did add a zipper pocket to the inside. Oh, and I modified the strap so I could wear the bag across my shoulders (easier for toddler wrangling!).

241 tote - inside pocket, by stitchified

And on the opposite side of the liner is another pocket, specially sized for my iPhone. Happiness folks. Pure happiness.

inside 241 tote, by stitchified

The end result is a little, errrr, bold. I think it’s a bag that only a quilter could love, but it makes me happy inside.

241 Tote Bag, by Stitchified

I haven’t been brave enough to bring my bag to the office, but I did take it for a spin at the mall (and nobody complained about its loudness!).   The bag may be totally impractical fashion-wise, but it makes me happy just the same. The moral of the story here? We should all treat ourselves more often! A fun diversion here and there is well deserved :)

Happy sewing!

• nellie March 11, 2014, 10:03 pm

Not loud at all! Just perfect and I think it’s quite fashionable! Hooray for selfish sewing!

• Taryn (forkandneedle) March 11, 2014, 11:15 pm

Great bag – wear it with pride – you’ve made something awesome. Selfish sewing is the best!

• Lori landenburger March 11, 2014, 11:53 pm

Its fabulous!! Take it to work and make them covetous! ;-)

• Fran March 12, 2014, 5:41 am

Wow, that is a fabulous bag! Enjoy it :-)

• Erin March 12, 2014, 9:19 am

I think your bag is absolutely glorious! I really like the raccoon with the teal and cream. It’s actually a much more restrained use of this print than a lot I have seen. And huzzah for a properly sized phone pocket! I really do need to make myself a bag, but I just can’t convince myself to take the leap. I might need to relook at the 241 pattern.
    Also, selfish sewing is an essential part of any quilters life. I am actively advocating for it at the moment. Trying to promote some quilt/life balance :-).
    E xx

• Esther F. March 14, 2014, 2:11 am

Loud? Nah, just very joyful!
    Lovely bag!!!