Friday finishes

Ironing Board WIP, by StitchifiedAfter years of dedicated service, my ironing board cover was pretty sad looking. Nothing like spray starch, interfacing gunk, and burn marks to make an iron cover feel loved, right? Truth be told, I meant to make a new cover ages ago and picked up some canvas at IKEA. But the project was pushed to the side, and the old cover got progressively (and impressively!) worse and worse.

New Ironing Board Cover, by Stitchified

But, no more! Check out my shiny new ironing board cover! The entire project took just a few hours thanks to Amanda Jean’s tutorial. Threading elastic through the very long casing is no picnic, but the finished product seriously makes me happy every time I use it! And, yes, I know that choosing white canvas for my cover was a brilliant move. It is sure to wear well, and that bright white will definitely hide the inevitable stains. Ingenious decision making, really 🙂

Vintage Inspired Penguin Plush, by StitchifiedBut my biggest victory this week came in penguin form. As some of you know, I have been struggling to finalize a penguin prototype for weeks now. I was inspired by a vintage pattern by Pamela Peake, and after a complete overhaul, I am finally happy with my version. I smoothed out some of his lines, and rounded out others — playing up the vintage charm while giving him a modern update. Now he is plucky and perfectly chubby in all the right places. Huzzah!

A trio of penguin prototypes, by StitchifiedMy better half has adopted the earlier prototypes (read: he won’t let me toss them!). So, I’m happy to report that they will live out the rest of their lives with us and the littles. We’re becoming a regular Island of Misfit Toys!

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday!

• Tracy January 29, 2016, 9:50 am

I love your new ironing board cover! I think it’s quite appropriate for a toymaker 🙂 (you could color it with permanent markers as it gets stains, maybe) I’ve been thinking I want one with a 1″ or 1/2” grid – that way I can keep everything nice and square, ya know?
    Congrats on a penguin prototype that you are perfectly pleased with ~ yay!!!
    Island of misfit toys ~ heehee

• tubakk January 29, 2016, 11:40 am

The sweetest penguines I’ve ever seen. Thanks for your visit to my blog. We’re living in the storm right now. The electricity is jumping out and in. Hope this will end soon.

• Abigail @ cut&alter January 29, 2016, 12:11 pm

Such gorgeous penguins!! I too recently changed my ironing board cover and have to admit I was deeply ashamed when I truly saw it’s state once it was off the board!

• vickie January 29, 2016, 2:15 pm

I love the cover for your ironing board. It is the second one I have seen today. I think it is meant to be that I get rid of my ugly silver cover that is coming apart. Thank you for the tutorial link. Maybe that will get me started.

• Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge January 29, 2016, 7:14 pm

Love the ironing board cover! There’s something so lovely about a fresh one, especially one made from IKEA fabric. I have a hunk of that print hanging out in the stash. And your penguin is super cute. This is my first visit to your blog and I’ll definitely be back!

• April January 29, 2016, 7:23 pm

Super cute Penguin! I don’t know which color I like more! They’re both adorable. 🙂

• Margaret January 30, 2016, 3:14 pm

The aqua one keeps catching my eye. so cute, good job.

• Kristy Wilkinson February 3, 2016, 12:47 am

What darling penguins! So glad you shared them with us! I finally bought myself a new ironing board cover. It is aqua chevrons. I do miss my geese that I had for the last 28 or so years! 🙂 K-